Creating and Removing Pages & Links
Creating pages and links is the heart of VoodooPad functionality. For more detailed information on creating links versus importing files or documents, read importing.
Creating New Pages
Use any of the following methods to create new pages in your VoodooPad document:
- WikiNames: Write a single word that has a capital in the middle (example: ThomasJefferson). Click on ThomasJefferson to create a new page. This function can be disabled in the Preferences window under "Appearance".
- Linking with Regular Words: Select the word (or words). Press the link button in the toolbar, ⌘L, or choose Edit ▸ Link.
- File ▸ New Page: Choose File ▸ New Page. Give the new page a name. Now whenever you write the name of the page in VoodooPad, it will link to that page automatically.
Linking to Existing Pages
- Link Selection to Page: Select the word you are trying to link. Choose Edit ▸ Link Selection to Page. Choose one of the existing pages from the pulldown menu. This will only link the specific word or phrase you selected to a page. It will not link other occurrences of the same word or phrase in your document to the page.
- Setting up an Alias: Choose 'Info' in the palette sidebar. Locate the box that says "Aliases" and press the plus button to add an alias. Type out the word or phrase that will then link to the page you are on. For a better example of this, please visit the Aliases page. All instances of that word or phrase in your document that you set up as an alias will link to the page.
Linking to the Internet
- Custom URL Link: Select the word you are trying to link. Choose Edit ▸ Custom URL Link. Enter the URL. Now whenever you write that word, it will automatically link to that URL. In order to completely delete the URL link from your document, you will need to open up the Info Palette. Click on the 'document' button at the top of the palette. In the table named "Files and URLs" click on the link you wish to delete. Click on the '-' button at the bottom of the list.
- Creating a One Time Link to the Internet: Select the word you are trying to link. Choose Format ▸ Add Link. Type in the URL. Unlike a Custom URL Link, this is a one time link from the word you have selected to the web address. VoodooPad will not automatically link that word to the URL anywhere else in your document.
- Typing a HyperLink: Any HyperLink starting with
http:// will automatically link to the internet.
Linking to Other VoodooPad Documents
- Copy Link: Locate the page you are trying to link to. From that page, choose Edit ▸ Copy Link to \. Go to the page you are trying to link from. Choose Edit ▸ Paste.
- Dragging the Icon: Open up the page you are trying to link to. Find the document you are trying to link from in the Finder window. Drag the icon of the document into the open VoodooPad document where you would like the link to be inserted. Choose to either link to the documents index page, or to a specific page.
- Dragging the Tab: If you have your document set up to use [tabs][formatting tabs] ( VoodooPad ▸ Preferences ▸ Tab ) you can also drag one tab into another document to make a link.
- Edit ▸ Unlink: Highlight the linked phrase, word, or URL then choose Edit ▸ Unlink. Only that single instance that you have selected will be unlinked. All other links will be preserved.
- Contextual Menu: Right click on the linked phrase, word, or URL. The contextual menu will pop open, choose "unlink". Only that single instance that you have selected will be unlinked. All other links will be preserved.
- Info Palette: To completely remove a custom URL link or a link to a file, you will need to open up the Info Palette and click on the Document button. In the table named "Files and URLs" click on the link you wish to delete to highlight it. Click on the '-' button at the bottom of the list to remove it.
If you have decided you are done with a VoodooPad page and you are ready to delete it, try out one of these methods:
- While on the page, press the delete button on the right side of the toolbar.
- Open the Pages Palette, right click (or control-click) on the page you want to delete in the list, and choose Delete Page. This is the best way to delete a page that links to a file or website.
- While on the page, choose Edit ▸ Delete Page.
- While on the page, press ⌘⇧D.
- While on the page, right click to bring up the contextual menu and select "delete page".
You might want to try splitting the page from your document instead of deleting, just in case you change your mind later.